Fluffy pancakes are one of my favorite things to make.
The first time I discovered the ultimate homemade pancake-fluff was after creating the recipe for these Hearty Banana Nut Pancakes. Of course, this recipe relied on whipped egg whites folded in to create the light, fluffy texture, which while yielding a perfect pancake, can be tedious if you’re short on time.
The more and more I made pancakes, the more I perfected my recipe for fluffy pancakes- keep in mind, pancakes that don’t contain any gluten, sugar, or dairy. And I can confidently tell you today that I have successfully created a recipe for pancakes so fluffy, they will blow your mind.
So here are my tricks of the pancake trade:
- Old fashioned oats- allows the recipe to be gluten free, and therefore health friendly to almost everyone! Plus, oats fill you up and keep you satisfied longer than classic flour… for significantly less calories.
- Chia seeds- these magic little seeds act as the “binding” agent in this recipe, making sure the pancake stays together when flipped on the pan. Additionally, they’re packed with healthy fats, such as omega-3’s, that are extremely beneficial to your health.
- Banana- gives these pancakes a light sweetness, without a huge banana taste (if you’re not a fan of banana- this recipe is still for you!)
If I keep going I’ll run through the list of ingredients in about 10 seconds… because there are only six! I like to keep my pancake recipes simple, especially if I’m making them first thing in the morning… when I’m still half asleep.
Fluffy, easy to make, and high in whole grains and protein.
What more could you want from a pancake?! 😉
Fluffy Chia Seed Pancakes
- 1/2 c old fashioned oats (or rolled oats)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- 1/2 banana
- 3 tbs egg whites
- 2 tbs unsweetened almond milk
Blend oats in a food processor or small blender until the consistency of oat flour is reached. Pour into a small bowl. Add baking powder, chia seeds, banana, and egg whites and stir until combined. Add almond milk and mix until fully combined, making sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl.
Nutrition Information (from myfitnesspal.com)
(Yields 2 servings of about 3 pancakes each)